Saturday, June 27, 2009

Old Fashioned Banana Cream Pie

I like to barter and trade, it's what makes me~ ME! Last summer I needed a starter on my car replaced and not having a lot of money to give a mechanic I offered to bake anything in exchange for the installation of the part. In exchange for the part being installed (I bought it at a wrecker), I was asked to bake a Banana Cream Pie. I made an extra pie so that my family could try the pie recipe too, it was great!

1 baked 9" pie shell

3 cups whole milk (homogenized milk)

3/4 cup white sugar

1/3 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 tsp. salt

3 egg yolks, slightly beaten

2 Tbsp. butter

1 tsp. vanilla

3 bananas

1. In a large sauce pan, scald the milk.

2. In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt.

3. Gradually stir in the scalded milk.

4. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.

5. Cover and stir occassionally, cook for 2 minutes longer.

6. In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks slightly beaten ready. Stir in a SMALL amount of the hot mixture into the egg yolks.

7. Mix thoroughly, then add the egg mixture TO the scalded milk mixture.

8. Cook 1 minute longer.

9. Remove from heat, blend in butter and vanilla.

10. Let stand to lukewarm.

11. Slice bananas and scatter into the baked pie shell.

12. Pour warm (not hot) mixture over bananas.

13. Cool and serve (or make meringue if you like).

Alternatives:
* Make meringue for pie top.
* Add 1 cup coconut while milk is being heated (OMIT BANANAS) for Coconut Cream Pie.
* Add NO bananas, no coconut for a Vanilla Cream Pie.

No comments:

Post a Comment